When caring for a child, it is easy to get lost in the myriad of chores a parent must remember. Oftentimes, we forget that oral hygiene begins as soon as the child is born. A parent should not only be cautious of everything that enters the child’s mouth, but the items that are already present in it. As soon as the child begins teething, essential healthcare for the teeth must begin.
Here a few suggestions for caring for the oral health of a young child:
– If the child is unable to brush their own teeth effectively, brush their teeth for them twice a day approximately 2 minutes each time, or as directed by their dentist.
– Do not share eating utensils between yourself and your child. Doing so can easily pass harmful cavity-causing bacteria to the child.
– For children between the ages of 3-6, supervise the children to ensure they do not swallow the toothpaste.
– Use toothpaste that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. For children less than 3 years of age, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a grain of rice. For children that are 3-6 years old, use a dab of toothpaste roughly the size of a pea.
– A child’s first tooth begins to break the skin at 6-10 months of age. Be sure to bring your child in to visit Dr. Nieku Manshadi no later than the child’s first birthday.
– Make sure your children consume healthy food and drink options.
The more care you can give to a child’s teeth and gums, the better off their smiles will be throughout the course of their entire lives. LOL Dental & Orthodontics is here to help. For more information, or to book an appointment, please call us at 936.463.0162 to get in touch with a member of our staff. You can also visit our office in Crockett, Texas. It’s never too early to start taking steps to a healthier you.